Saturday, October 15, 2016

Old Ellerbe Road School - Shreveport, LA (The Stuff Legends Are Made Of)

Ellerbe Rd.
Shreveport, LA 71115
32.29622,-93.59637


*Artistic Photos Courtesy of https://bbrasseaux.wordpress.com/
            I have always been amazed at the complexity and size that urban legends can grow to. In many cases, it seems that the less legitimate evidence that is found, the more absurd the tales become. Such was the case with the “Doorway to Hell” at the SSA Convent. I can remember about ten years ago, my friend told me about this old abandoned house in Alexandria rumored to have been used to perform illegal abortions. The stories were of epic proportion, consisting of a maniacal evil doctor who would dispose of the fetuses in a well to the rear of the property. Knowing damn well there was
Map showing the school's location. Click to enlarge.
no evidence of such a business ever existing, we were still determined to pay this house a visit. What resulted were us trekking in the middle of the ghetto, almost getting my truck stuck in the mud, only to arrive at an old abandoned house that was being used as a crack house and rendezvous point for late-night “booty calls”. The ground was littered with used condoms, dirty syringes and pairs of underwear. To this day, I learned a valuable lesson that some urban legends are to be taken with a fine grain of salt.

             Additionally, many of these places can be quite dangerous due to the terrain and/or neighborhood. Most of these locations are posted and regularly patrolled by the police. Often times, such venues are better left alone in the hands of future storytellers, as they are not worth the dangers associated with them to investigate. Such is definitely the case with our next location. In over ten years of research on haunted locations in Louisiana, I don’t think that any spot is more mysterious and enveloped with more urban legends than the old Ellerbe Road School in Shreveport.

            Towards the end of the 1950’s, as segregation was dwindling down, a new school for the local black children was needed. In 1957, the George Washington Carver Primary School was built on the
Photo of the school in 1957.
Courtesy of www.hauntedshreveportbossier.com
outskirts of Shreveport near the end of a long and winding Ellerbe Road. As segregation came to an end, the school board made numerous attempts at consolidating the school, mixing the population by bringing in more white students. By the 1970’s, a declining student population and more academics had sent the school into an irreversible downward spiral. In 1973, the George Washington Carver School would shut its doors for good.

            For several years after its closure, the school stood vacant while local and state officials debated on what to do with the property. During Governor Edwin Edwards’ term in 1975, it was briefly considered for use as a state prison but that idea was quickly turned down.  In 1981, the Baptist Tabernacle leased the property for use as a campus of Baptist Christian College. Due to low attendance and high maintenance costs, the site once again closed in 1985. The building and grounds have remained vacant ever since. From this point on, fact is completely thrown out of the window and years of legends, tales and folklore take over.
           
As the school fell into great disrepair, it became the local hangout for teens, vandals and some say, devil worshipers. Yes, we can’t have a spooky place without those pesky Satanists! Teens quickly swarmed to the location which simply has become known as the Old Ellerbe Road School. Here, they would drink, vandalize, do drugs and cover the interior and exterior of the building in graffiti. Much of this graffiti is in the form of poorly-drawn misaligned pentagrams, genitals and an occasional mentioning of Satan and lyrics from heavy metal songs. Obviously, this was all it took to automatically label the school a site for not only Satanic worshipping but eventually, rumors of human sacrifice. As word spread, the Ellerbe school grew to a popular hangout spot for wanna-be’s, use-to-be’s and never-will-be’s. As more people congregated here at late hours of the night, the more police began to monitor the area. Today, the entire property is posted land and is heavily patrolled by the local police. It is highly recommended that you do not attempt to visit here, especially at night.
Excellent photograph of the school courtesy of https://bbrasseaux.wordpress.com/
           With the years of abuse and neglect that the school has been subjected to, an equal amount of mysterious tales and haunted legends began to seep from these abandoned walls. One of the most widely-told stories was that of a former janitor that is said to have worked at the school. According to reports, the janitor molested and kidnapped several of the students, never to have been seen from or heard from again. Others say that the janitor would take several of the students to the auditorium and set them all on fire, including him. I truly feel that this story is a myth, elaborated on by overactive imaginations. There are no records or reports culminating from the school’s existence that makes mention of any such crime ever taking place there. Teens who have visited the Ellerbe School at late hours have claimed to have heard screams echoing throughout the building along with seeing balls of light moving down the halls.
            In some of the even more outlandish reports, visitors have found the carcasses of rotting cattle. Although this sight in itself is not that odd, being the grounds are now full of free-roaming cows, but the stories state that the corpses disappear only minutes after being seen. Another elaborated tale comes from the water tower that sits on the property. Legends would tell that if you were to climb the tower and look into its waters, you would see your reflection in the image of the 
Shot of the infamous water tower.
way you will look on the day you die. Obviously, this is quite absurd and anyone should have enough common sense not to try and attempt this. If you do happen to sneak onto the property and make the dangerous climb up the old rusted and collapsing tower, then you very well may get a glimpse of how you will look on the day of your death, as that day is probably a few minutes away, as you dare to descend from such a contraption!

             Despite all the wild and crazy stories, those who think a little more logically do still feel that something evil lurks on these grounds. If legitimate satanic rituals have taken place within the old school, it is very possible that some sort of evil could have been conjured. In a prime example of “do as I say, not as I do,” about two years ago, I paid a visit to the school. It was the middle of the day so I was not too concerned with anyone else on the grounds. To avoid drawing any attention, I had my wife drop me off. Yes, I will admit that I ignored the posted signs and climbed the cattle fence onto the property. The entire grounds were extremely overgrown with grass and small trees. I knew I didn’t have long to explore but I had to at least catch a glimpse of this old school that I had heard about for years. As I approached the collapsing catwalk, I could definitely see that nature had almost completely taken back the grounds with trees beginning to come into the building. I approached the main school and could see into the busted out windows. The remnants from years of late night teen hangout sessions were evident, as old broken beer bottles were strewn all over along
Nature has truly taken the school back!
with the images of poorly-drawn graffiti. I saw no signs of legitimate Satanic worshipping, as you could tell the drawings were merely done by rebellious teenagers. The area did have quite the creep factor and I can only imagine what it must feel like at night. My time was coming to an end so I quickly jumped the fence back onto the driveway where my wife picked me up. Again, I do not suggest you do what I did, as it is definitely not worth the possible legal ramifications. As I post this blog today, I passed in front of the old school two days ago and if you did not know its exact location, you would not even know it’s there, as the foliage is so overgrown, you cannot even see the school. The only hints of its presence are three large yellow cattle gates with posted signs, marking the entrances. Coming from the south, you can briefly catch a glimpse of the old water tower and that’s about it.

                In closing, the Old Ellerbe Road School should remain exactly as it is today, which is untouched and left for nature to take back. It is a dangerous place not worth getting in trouble for, just to explore. In 2011, the Caddo Parish School board passed a vote which will ultimately see the demolishing of the school along with several others that are abandoned. Such decision is probably for the best, as it is only wise to let the years of urban legends go down with the building before anyone gets hurt or killed trying to validate such crazy claims. Still, the investigator in me can’t help but wonder if there is some truth to the madness.

15 comments:

  1. Is it still there today at the end of ellerbe rd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is but you basically have to break the law and jump the fence to see it.

      Delete
    2. U can go across the street from it and talk to the owner and ask if he will acompany u so he can see that ur not going to try to kill his cows or damage the property

      Delete
  2. The brief story I'm about to share is no tale, and no urban legend. My first trip there was in 1996. Looked just like it is described above with less overgrowth. From 1996 to about 2001, my friends and I made a trip out there every time we were with someone that hadn't been there. Last trip I took there was with about 10 people. It was around 10 pm, we always went at night, and I had only the glow of my Nokia to light the way for me. As me and my best friend made our final stop in the big auditorium, everyone else passed us in that hallway and said they were leaving. We both got an instant creep factor when it sounded like something moved behind us. You know that feeling that makes it feel like your ears are pinned back, and we speed walked out of there. As we were walking behind the others down the old bus driveway and towards the cattle gate, we both looked back when heard something again. Facing the direction of the school, the bottom left window, we both see something white. My immediate thought was a reflection of the full moon out that night. Then I remembered that all of those windows were busted out. We both looked back and whatever it was that we were looking at was fading as though it was moving backwards. We never told the other guys what we saw. Was I seeing things? Hearing things? I don't know, but my best friend saw and heard the same thing and neither of us had been drinking that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey my name is Rebecca strain I also went there this yr mid 2018 n saw the white full figure as well as a white truck w red taillights that vanished into thin air before I could even make it to where it was looked the direction it was headed and still couldn’t see it again it was headed toward the plantation few miles up the road but the figure went into the woods in front of the school, a buddy who went there too said that it was the janitor n was surprised that I had seen him. What I can’t begin to figure out is what was the trucks purpose? I had my 2 yr old daughter w me the first time and when I returned I didn’t see the figure so I’m thinking that was the only reason I seen him but i jus cannot figure out the significance of the ghost truck lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. No it hasnt been torn down yet it is still there. As a matter of fact i just spoke to guy today that had been there last night. He said it was him and a few other guys and that they only heard things up there bit were only able to explore a few class rooms before they got spooked and left.

      Delete
  5. I went to college and lived there 2 semesters 81-82. It was pretty run down then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Went here around the middle of this year, definitely a spooky place to go with all the pentagrams and decayed surroundings. But didn’t see or hear anything that seemed paranormal! However the 2 times I’ve been here have both been in daytime.
    It’s definitely worth all the hype in my opinion, but I’d definitely recommend getting a tetanus shot since there’s more rust in that place then there are phony ghost stories lmao

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the craziest thing that has happened there because I found this story on a website and it looked pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has it been torn down because we just went on the rd to see it and it was no where to be found

    ReplyDelete
  9. No it’s not torn down and yes I’m my opinion I feel like it’s haunted because me my friends and girlfriend just went tonight and we caught a ball of light on camera like you were saying in the text and when me and my gf got home we had marks on us that weren’t there before so take my word for it if you wanna go there be my guest..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to that school from elementary until they desegregated in 1969.the Black students were sent to Captain Shreve. My sister and her boyfriend and kids went with me to Carver to check out stuff and we were standing where you could see drawing on the concrete right on the ground. We said we bet it was from devil worshipers. All of a sudden the temperature changes and it felt like something was right there by us. We were knocking each other out of the way to get back in the SUV AND TOLD TERRY to speed his ass up. We felt like we had just avoided seeing something crazy. I wrote a book about ghost and This story is in it. It's called SURVIVING my HAUNTED life, by Linda Logan. Other stories about Ellerbe road is in it.I grew up on Ellerbe Rd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there 12 year's ago and I went there two weeks ago. I work out in the woods alone and have come across some pretty creepy forgotten places, I'm not skiddish at all but I can tell you bad stuff has definitely happened on the property. I'm planning to go back one night in the spring and see if I have the nerve to camp for the night

      Delete