Tuesday, October 4, 2016

St. Vincent's Guest House - New Orleans, LA (The City's Guardian Angel)

1507 Magazine St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
29.934226,-90.072766


            By the early to mid-1800's, the Yellow Fever epidemic was running rampant across the United States, especially in the city of New Orleans. This acute disease spread by mosquitos virtually had no cure at the time and the death toll was staggering and steadily climbing. The disease showed no discrimination, as children and adults of all races were equally affected. As the death toll rose, especially in adults, more and more children were left behind as orphans with no one to tend to them. Local churches tried their best to accommodate the kids, causing a rise in local orphanages.
            One of the major organizations that were tasked with the duty of providing care for these orphans were the Daughters of Charity. In 1861, the St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum was constructed on Magazine Street and was able to offer shelter and education to the steadily increasing number of children who were left to fend for themselves. Funds were limited for the orphanage and things quickly began to look grim for the institution until a savior appeared that would soon become a guardian angel to the city.

            Margaret Gaffney was born in 1813 and came from a very poor family in Ireland. Attempting to make a better life for themselves, her family moved to Baltimore, Maryland. When Margaret was only nine years old, both her parents died of Yellow Fever, leaving her to survive on her own. Until
A savior for many, Margaret Gaffney Haughery.
adulthood, Margaret would learn of the many hardships associated with being an orphan and vowed to offer whatever assistance she could to others in the same predicament. In 1835, at age twenty-one, Margaret married Irish-born Charles Haughery and the couple moved to New Orleans. Over time, Margaret Haughery had become quite the philanthropist, growing to be quite successful, especially coming from such poor upbringings. At the early age of twenty-three, Margaret would once again, lose everything she had, as her husband and young child would also die of Yellow Fever. More determined than ever to assist those who were victims of the disease, she began offering her time and money to St. Vincent's Orphanage.

            While working at a nearby hotel as a laundress, Margaret began visiting the orphanage, assisting with the care of the young children and even donating some of her earnings from doing laundry. She expanded her aid by putting in more and more hours at the home while also collecting
Some of the orphanage's first tenants.
additional food for the kids. With her keen business sense, she began soliciting financial aid and sponsorship from some of the local businesses, which was an incredible help. Seeing how successful and dedicated Margaret had become, the Daughters of Charity decided to award her with an administrative position at the orphanage.

            Margaret would take things a step further by purchasing two cows for the orphanage to supply it with milk, selling the excess. She would load up the extra milk in a small cart and take it down to the Vieux Carre, where she would sell it. As she would go door to door, she would also attempt to obtain any leftover food the private residences and the businesses may have had, bringing whatever extras she could back to the children. As her finances improved, she became a shareholder, and eventually the owner of a small bakery, she would simply call Margaret's Bakery.
            Years of diligence, savvy business sense and kind-heartedness would ultimately make Margaret not only a hero in the local community but also a wealthy woman. Widely known as “Our Margaret,” “The Bread Woman of New Orleans" and “Mother of Orphans,” dear Margaret would continue her goodwill even to soldiers during the Civil War, providing food to them when they were in need as well. It is uncertain as to how many lives she affected over the years with her kindness, but I am sure the figures were astronomical. Before her death in 1882, Margaret Haughery would be responsible for building St. Elizabeth Orphan Asylum, the Louise Home for girls, St. Vincent Infant Asylum and an asylum and church on Erato Street that became St. Teresa of Avila Church.

Monument erected in memory of Ms. Margaret.
            Her death was a travesty for the city, as thousands mourned the loss of this incredible woman with a heart as big as New Orleans itself. To return the favor, a huge funeral procession was given in Margaret's honor. Just to show you her status amongst the community, her pallbearers consisted of two Lieutenant Governors of Louisiana, New Orleans mayor Benjamin Flanders and the Archbishop Napoléon-Joseph Perché! She would die a fairly wealthy woman, but even in her death, her goodwill would continue, as she would ultimately donate thousands of dollars to six orphan asylums and two asylums for single mothers. The largest portion of her donation would go to her beloved St. Vincent's Orphanage. She would leave all of her wealth to charities with the exception of the bakery, which she bequeathed to her foster son, Bernard Klotz. Today, a statue of Margaret Haughery sits in her honor on a small section of grass, simply called Margaret's Place, where Clio Street intersects with Prytania and Camp Streets.
            The orphanage would continue to operate for many years to come, also accommodating single mothers and their children. The orphanage would ultimately shut down in the mid-1970's and would sit abandoned for several decades. In 1994, the building was purchased and remodeled, transforming it into the present-day St. Vincent's Guest House. The guest house is actually considered more of a hostel, offering little amenities other than an affordable no-frills place to stay for transient travelers on a strict budget. One thing that is pretty cool is on top of the carriage house is a bell tower with a unique sculpture hanging from it. Designed by sculptor Thomas Randolf Morrison, it is called “New Orleans Gargoyle” and consists of a demonic-
Strange gargoyle statue atop the roof of the guesthouse.
Photo courtesy of www.billchance.org
looking creature holding a severed head! Definitely something you wouldn't traditionally see hanging from the Bourbon Orleans or Le Pavillon!

            Not knocking the guest house but, as I said, this isn't the place to go if you are wanting monogramed his and hers bath robes with an on-site masseuse. Some of the décor may be outdated and in need of some repair but this only adds to the ambience, especially when you find out that there is a great deal of haunted activity here. As creepy as the idea of a standard haunting is, the thought of children ghosts takes the spook factor to a whole new level and this place is full of them! The St. Vincent's Guest House is said to be haunted by many of the young children who died here of Yellow Fever over the years. Their hauntings are very prominent, as guests and staff have seen the apparitions of these young children as well as hearing them run and play on adjacent floors. Some guests have even reported waking up to the incredible sight of spectral children sitting on their beds or tugging on the sheets. Fortunately, the young children that reside here are said to be in good spirits, no pun intended! In a home that was filled with so much care and love, it is settling to know that these playful spirits are at ease, possibly still being taken care of by “Our Margaret.”

16 comments:

  1. 7/25/17
    I'm sitting on the front porch of this great historical institution, reading this article. What a sad and happy history of this beautiful place. Margaret was truly a wonderful soul. True, this isn't a fancy resort, there are alot of things that need to be updated and restored. Our room has a king bed that's seen it's better days but is comfortable. There's no tv which is fine by me, not my husband lol. The staff are wonderful and the old decor is fantastic. By hotel standards it's not a 5 star, but for character, history and ambiance it's 10 stars. It will be renovated to a 5 star hotel in 2018, so I suggest you stay here before then so you can appreciate it for what it was. A place for children that had nowhere else to go. A place that freely gave love and care.
    So now I'll go to bed and hope to be visited by one of these special children in the night. And I'll let the child know we still care and love our children.
    Goodnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story, hope you enjoy your stay. Sometimes, accommodations that are no frills are the best kind, especially in a city like New Orleans.

      Delete
  2. I spent 2 weeks here back in 2012. I loved the character of the building. I did have a young boy come running at me in my room one night. Scared me straight out of my bed. lol no harm though. I had no idea the history or what the building used to be until i looked into it after the ghost child made himself known. I hope to visit again some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny. I would love to speak with you about your experience at St. Vincents.

      Delete
  3. I was in this place in 1983. Never had any ghostly experiences. At the time it was a maternity home for unwed mothers and still even had school there. It was old back then. Never knew the history of it til 2013. Had some good memories there, and some not so good. The staircase is the best part about it. Some people have their own story about the place. I have my own. Never had any ghostly encounters at all. At the time it didnt have anything in back court yard, definitely no pool. Haf beautiful verandah though. We use to go out the tv room window and watch all the drunks fighting across the street at some bar that was located diagonally across to left of the front of our building. Elevators were slow and sounded rickety. Our cook was one of the best, nicest, sweetest staff member they had. Would love to meet her today!!!
    So for all the ghost enthusiasts, I was there it seemed like am eternity, there were no ghostly episodes, only staff and pregnant girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there in 1970, and watching the activity at the bar across the street at the bar was always entertaining for us, too! 😉😂

      Delete
    2. I WAS ALSO THERE WHEN IT WAS A UNWED MOTHERS HOME. I WAS THERE 2 TIMES ONCE IN 1983 AND AGAIN IN 1984. I OFTEN WONDER HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THOSE GIRLS FROM THERE. I NEVER SEEN ANY GHOSTLY THINGS ALSO AND I HAD THE ROOM ON THE END OF THE HALL THAT HAD 5 BEDS IN IT AND EVERYONE WAS SCARED OF THAT ROOM BECAUSE IT WAS SO BIG. BUT I HAD MY OWN BATHROOM. AT THE TIME I THOUGHT IT WAS A PUNISHMENT, BUT NOW I MISS IT. SO IF ANYONE WANTS TO CONTACT ME PLEASE E-MAIL ME. THANK YOU ROS

      Delete
    3. St Vincent was life-saving for me in 1972. I was a single mother, 23, with a 13 month old baby. I had gone through some awful times & found a tiny apartment in a slave quarters behind a big house house. Someone told of St Vincent & the nuns who could help. I was able to get on government assistance & eventually a job working 6 nights a week. My baby stayed there while I worked from 6 PM till sometimes 5 AM. The sisters & caregivers gave the babies so much love and helped me get on my feet. I will forever be grateful to these kind, wonderful women! They gave me a sense of worth & hope! I eventually went to nusing school & have been nursing almost 50 years. I married, had another daughter in 1981 & adopted two children in 1976 and 1986. In September I am returning to visit New Orleans with my daughters now 50,49 & 44 as well as my 18 year old grandson. We plan to visit the old neighborhood & would love to stop by!

      Delete
  4. My son and I stayed there for 2 nights in March of 2019. We had a nice experience there. We didn't see any ghosts bur I could feel their presence. Specially in the hallway and in a corner of the restroom in our room. We would definitely stay there again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We stayed here Halloween night of 2017. Our stay can be documented. We heard loud paranormal noises which woke us up around 2 am. There were at least 3 other witnesses in the rooms around us that heard the noises also. Our story is especially interesting and Karen is welcome to reach out to us for details. We can be reached at terrybeauxcollins@gmail.com. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure if I'll get a reply from a valid source but when I was here 3 years ago I was in a room by myself on the first floor, not in an apartment but an abandoned room and I was conducting my own paranormal investigation. I started to feel something grab the rod I was holding so I asked questions and got responses via evp. I began communicating with the spirit and I got the name pepper as well as she said she was a nun. I have not been able to find any records of names of nuns that worked at St Vincent infant asylum so any information on how I can find out the names of the nuns that worked there would be extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our room was on the second floor landing. It was Halloween night 2017, uncanny I know but this is a true experience. My husband and I had been out with family trick or treating and returned near midnight. We had walked quite a bit and we're pretty tired, so we went to bed. Our room's window looked out on the courtyard. At some point late at night I was awakened by a loud crashing and banging. It seemed to come from the other side of the building in the fenced area. I was at first annoyed and said to myself that someone was playing a trick for Halloween night. I am a sound sleeper and was quite annoyed to be awakened. The crashing sounded like it could be the shopping carts in the entrance area. They were slammed over and over. There was a pause and I assumed that whoever it was had gotten it out of their system. I didn't hear any yelling or talking at all. A minute later the banging began again. But this time it was irregular. Several bangs and a pause. Then repeated banging and so on. Very irregular. At this point I woke my husband and he heard it too. After a bit it kind of faded away. I was too scared to get out of bed, but the lady in the room next to us sent her husband out to look so I knew they had heard it too. The next morning there was a lady sitting outside the rooms on a laptop. I asked her if she had heard anything. She replied that she had. I asked if she ever heard any voices and she said no. As we checked out I noticed there was a camera facing the entrance I think. I asked the black lady checking us out if they saw or heard anything and she laughed and said no and now don't tell me this is a ghost story. We recounted our experience. Pretty sure she didn't believe us but we had no motivations and we're pretty annoyed.in the lobby we saw two men setting up some equipment I asked what it was and they said they were ghost hunters. We laughed and said well you're a day late. The action was last night. As we left we examined the shopping carts. As hard as it sounded like they were being slammed I expected to see some damage but I didn't see a single mark. How ironic that because this happened on Halloween no one believed us !!

      Delete
  7. I was at St. Vincent's for 9 months or so in 1961. I was an unwed mother, and in those days there wasn't much place to go when your family would not support you. I was 16 when I arrived and 17 when my son was born at Hotel Dieu Hospital. I was told by my family that I could come home, but not with the baby. I was still a schoolgirl and couldn't even type, and had no skills, and no place to go with a baby. I really wasn't given a choice, so I gave my son up for adoption. I kept in touch (unknown to the sisters) with a woman in the nursery and found out that my son was adopted when he was 5 months old, and that they changed his name to Kevin. That is all I have ever known about him. He will be 60 this year! In spite of the loss of my son, I remain grateful that St. Vincent's was there for me and I still have fond memories of the sisters, who were unfailingly kind to me. I have never tried to find my son, even in these days of Facebook (which I'm not on) and the internet, because I believe it should be the child who wants to find the biological mother, not the other way around. Still...I would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so loving & kind. Never judgmental. Wish you could've found your son but surely he got a loving home. My "baby" is now 50. We are going to visit in Sept. ♡

      Delete
    2. Bless you and your son.St Vincent also helped me in 72. I was a single mother to my baby daughter. They cared for her while i worked.

      Delete
  8. My father was a resident here from birth to when he was six years old. He never spoke about the orphanage, I only discovered where he grew up after his death.

    ReplyDelete