Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Ashley House/Avenue Plaza Resort - New Orleans, LA (Short But Sweet)

2111 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
29.934918,-90.080199


            The Garden District of New Orleans has always been my favorite place to visit when in the area. Seeming a lot less “touristy”, the strip of St. Charles has all the great amenities one would want without the obnoxious out-of-towners known to congregate on and around Bourbon Street. Amidst the modern Avenue Plaza Resort, lies a historical hidden gem, many claim is one of the most haunted locations in the Garden District. Adjacent from the main hotel, sits the Ashley House. The home was built sometime in the 1830’s and records indicate that it was owned by Mr. D. R. Carroll. During the Civil War, the home was predominately used as a boarding home for Confederate prisoners of war by the Union army.
            Visitors to the Ashley House claim that most of the home’s activity seems to reside on the second floor. The apparition of a young woman has been seen patrolling through the home as well as disembodied voices and footsteps have been heard when no one is around. Poltergeist-like activity has also been reported such as strange electrical malfunctions and doors opening and closing on their own. Individuals who have conducted paranormal investigations of the home have reported capturing several electronic voice phenomena as well as strange light anomalies. Although the history may be brief with the Ashley House, this is not necessarily proof that the reported hauntings or inaccurate. I definitely plan on adding this location to my “to-do” list. If I don’t capture any evidence, oh well; I will be right down the street from my all-time favorite pub, the Irish House. Damn the bad luck!   

2 comments:

  1. I was able to get special permission by the hotel to allow my husband and I in the house after dark. My husband wanted to go up stairs. We are walking up the stairs and right before we reach the top step, a door slams down stairs. There was no denying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a part of the house I couldn't go in and I wonder why? It was on the left side

    ReplyDelete