Fort Jackson/Fort St. Phillip (Buras)
By the early 1800’s, New Orleans and the surrounding areas were no stranger to war and attacks, specifically from Spain and Britain. After several skirmishes and attempts to seize New Orleans, the city’s hero, General Andrew Jackson ordered that a fortification be built to not only protect the city but to secure the river from any future attacks. Construction of Fort Jackson began in 1822 and was completed and occupied in 1832. It was then garrisoned by a small force until February 9, 1842, when it was declared a military reservation by executive order of President John Tyler.
|Map of Ft. Jackson|